Pages

12.22.2010

Battle of the Bands

Not really. I just wanted to use that as a post title. I love it. It reminds me of Jem and the Holograms. Speaking of Jem and the Holograms, how about the Don’t Ask Don’t Tell Repeal?

Did you like my smooth, fluid like transition into serious territory? It’s a gift, it can’t be taught.

If you are familiar with my blog you know that I abhor politics and I rarely talk about serious issues. But, I do like to talk about things that are current. No, not missing children, not the rise in crime, not terrorists, not poverty, and not the global financial crisis, but about being openly gay and in the military. That is what’s important, right? That’s what is keeping us as American’s up at night, worried sick? Right?

Well, not me. I mostly stay up at night worried about why there are so many children being killed by their own parent’s and why kid's are bullying other kid's to the point of suicide. Also, playing quarters with my 7 year old. We like tequila.

I love my country and I love, care for and respect all of the men and women that serve in our military and serve our country. It is something that I wish I had the courage and strength to do and I am incredibly amazed at the amount of people that are able to do it. They leave their families, miss important family events, holidays, and the birth of their own children. It takes great dedication and spirit to do this over and over again and I include them in my prayers every day. All of them. Not just some of them.

So, the DADT has been in place for the past 17 years. Before that, if you answered “yes” to the homosexuality question then you weren’t allowed to serve. Since then, views have changed and humans in general have become more accepting. In general...not all of us, of course. Which is fine. I don’t expect everyone to view things the same way or believe the same things or agree on anything, this is America and that’s what makes it awesome. Okay, so the DADT was put in place so that all people could serve, right? Yes. I’m sure that’s it. They basically just aren’t supposed to voice that they are gay. Right? Yes. Which I’m sure has been just fine and dandy by most since it doesn't sound like all that much fun to voice your sexuality while standing next to a guy name Duke that's holding a large gun...and grenades...and his socks don't match.

Now that it seems time to repeal this policy it has caused uproar among some. Does it really matter? I'm guessing that if you are serving with someone, and you're with them for large chunks of time, then you probably can guess which side they are batting for. Am I right? I'm also guessing that the majority of people that serve aren't gay. I'm also guessing that a gay man serving in the military is not attracted to every straight man that he sees, so, no need to keep your junk hidden in the shower, you're safe. I promise.

Now I'm not sure if this next guess is true, but I hope to God that it is. I'm guessing, hoping, praying, that no matter who you are, no matter who you're attracted to, no matter what color your socks are, that if you are injured and in need of assistance, that your brother's and sister's in arms will help you. That, at that moment those things don't matter. What matter's is that you are all fighting for our country, you are all fighting to keep eachother safe, that out there in the field and inside in the showers you are all the same.

Have no fear comrads. Repealing this policy will not magically turn every gay man in the military into Armand and Albert.

Sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you say things to me that reinforce me positively. So...carry on then, do that thing. Lastly, capital hat!